The creator of moissanite diamonds was Dr. Henri Moissan. He was a French chemist who won the Nobel Prize in Chemistry in 1906. Moissan was studying the composition of meteorites when he discovered moissanite in 1893. He named the gemstone after himself.
How Moissanite Was Created
Moissanite is a naturally occurring mineral, but it is very rare. It is only found in small quantities in meteorites. Moissanite can also be created in a lab. The process of creating moissanite in a lab is called chemical vapor deposition (CVD). In CVD, a mixture of gases is heated in a vacuum chamber. The gases react to form moissanite crystals.
Moissanite rings are a popular choice for jewelry. They are often chosen for their sparkle and fire, which are comparable to those of mined diamonds. However, moissanite rings are also more affordable than mined diamonds, making them a great option for those who are looking for a high-quality gemstone without breaking the bank.
Properties of Moissanite
Moissanite has a number of properties that make it a desirable gemstone.
These properties include:
● Hardness: Moissanite has a Mohs hardness of 9.25, which is slightly harder than diamonds. This means that moissanite is more resistant to scratching and chipping than diamonds.
● Sparkle: Moissanite has a higher refractive index than diamonds, which means that it reflects more light. This gives moissanite a brighter and more brilliant sparkle.
● Color: Moissanite is available in a range of colors, including colorless, near-colorless, and yellow. Diamonds are typically colorless, but they can also be found in yellow, brown, and other colors.
● Price: Moissanite is typically more affordable than diamonds. This is because moissanite is more abundant and easier to produce than diamonds.
Moissanite rings are a beautiful and affordable option for jewelry. They are a great choice for those who are looking for a gemstone that is similar to diamonds in terms of its sparkle and fire, but that is more affordable.
Here are some additional factors to consider when choosing a moissanite ring:
● Cut: The cut of a moissanite ring will affect its sparkle and fire. A well-cut moissanite ring will have a bright and brilliant sparkle.
● Setting: The setting of a moissanite ring will also affect its appearance. A simple setting will allow the moissanite to shine on its own, while a more elaborate setting will add additional sparkle and interest.
● Personal preference: Ultimately, the best choice for you will depend on your personal preferences and budget. If you are looking for a gemstone that is similar to diamonds in terms of its sparkle and fire, but that is more affordable, then
moissanite is a great option. If you are looking for a gemstone that is considered to be more rare and valuable, then diamonds may be a better choice for you.